Saturday, March 17, 2018

2018: Year of the raised bed


This is how I plan to have a garden this year. It is an expansion of last year's container approach. I built most of these beds over the winter, but one bed, the second one from the left in the photo, I built last Fall as a test of concept. 


I've already harvested several kale plants and some broccoli.  There's some Romaine and Red Leaf lettuce still to harvest. I may still get a few more broccoli florets.

My concern was pest control. Not just insects, but furry critters, too. The first bed was largely successful, so now I have six. 


I also built into two of the beds, a little area for flowers. I planted marigolds both for its insect repellant qualities and the aesthetics. 

I've also incorporated a watering system. Right now, it is not on a timer. Because the source of water is on the other side of the driveway, I may leave it that way, connecting the hose only when necessary.

Now I'm going to go watch my plants grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment